Understanding What a DC Postnuptial Agreement Means for You
There are many reasons why you might want to consider a DC Postnuptial Agreement. It is best to consult with a DC Family Law Attorney to assist you in determining whether it makes sense for you. A Postnuptial Agreement in DC is similar to a Prenuptial Agreement, except that it is signed after you are married and is effective immediately upon signing. It can be signed immediately after you marry or years later. It is an Agreement designed to resolve financial issues that may arise during your marriage.
What is Covered in a Postnuptial Agreement in DC?
Some of the circumstances that may arise that would cause you to consider a Postnuptial Agreement are:
- it was too close to your wedding date to prepare a Prenuptial Agreement
- you or your spouse inherit funds during your marriage
- you or your spouse become a stay-at-home parent
- you or your spouse stops working for any reason
- you or your spouse are considering starting a business and need start-up funds or will incur a loan to open the business
- you or your spouse want to further your education and may take out a student loan
- you or your spouse has incurred credit card debt or other debt
- you want to avoid financial disputes now and, in the future, and feel that the protection of an Agreement will prevent disputes between you and your spouse
Protecting Your Assets After Marriage
Nobody wants to think about what will happen if their marriage ends one day. However, a DC Postnuptial Agreement negotiated and signed when you and your spouse are in a good place in your marriage will make any future separation a smoother process. A Postnuptial Agreement will help prevent the acrimony that can occur when you divide property if you separate and/or divorce. You can address the financial issues that have changed since you were married.
It is best to contact a DC Divorce and Family Law Attorney to discuss your options. If you talk through the reasons why a Postnuptial Agreement might make sense in your situation you can make a thoughtful decision about whether to have one prepared.